Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

How We Pack Lunches

Joining Erika and Shay today for their "How We..." series. Today's topic? Packing school lunches!

School already started here last Thursday, and Wells is officially a full-time school kid in PreK-4 (it was a very emotional day last Thursday...for me. Not him, at all. He got all his Daddy's social butterfly/independent nature and was ready to go!). Anyway, he has been and will be taking his lunch to school pretty much every day, unless there is a day or two during the month that he wants to buy lunch (because hello pizza day.).

I actually really enjoy packing his lunch, but I am not delusional in thinking that I will continue to enjoy it quite this much for more than a couple of weeks. Ha! But for now, me and his lunches are still BFFs. I don't go crazy or get super creative (although I might when it comes to holidays...we'll see how much energy I have then!), but I do pack things that I know he will eat and enjoy. Not gonna spend time or money packing something that will go to waste. I always love hearing what other people pack in their kiddos' lunches, and I can't ever scroll past a lunchbox inspiration pin on Pinterest without clicking on it! :) So, I am really looking forward to reading everyone else's posts!

So, in getting ready for lunch-packing, about a month ago, I purchased a couple of things. Up first are these reusable food pouches.


I've been wanting to get some for snacks on the go anyway and thought that having them for lunches would be great as well. These are a great price and you get TEN pouches plus a little tool for filling them up without a mess. So far, I've sent applesauce and will probably send yogurt.

I also purchased these - another great bang for your buck. It came with 7 containers, and so far they've been serving their purpose well!


Here's what Wells took on his first day of school:


One little tool that I love is this Cut N Seal that my mom gave me. One press, and voila! You've got a homemade "uncrustable!"


I try to send at least one of each of these categories in his lunch each day:
- Main Item (so far he's taken sandwiches, pepperonis with crackers + cream cheese...and leftover nuggets from Chic-fil-a. Ha! Other things will likely include quesadillas, deli meat and cheese roll-ups, etc.)
- Fruit (so far he's taken strawberries, oranges, and a plum I diced up for him)
- Raw veggies w/ranch (his favorites are carrots, bell peppers, and broccoli)
- Carb (cubed cheese or crackers/chips)
- A treat (sometimes that may just be the fruit, but sometimes it is a cookie or a few mini marshmallows. He also loves those little butter mints, so I've sent one of those for him to eat at the end of his lunch, too. #itsthelittlethings

I guess I've only really got two tips for packing lunches. Tip #1 - Put a toothpick in it! Things are just more fun when you can eat it off a stick, amiright? The other day I sent him some pepperonis with cream cheese smeared on them, folded like mini tacos and skewered onto toothpicks. And of course, they were all gone when he got home! Tip #2 - Pack the night before! With drop-off starting at 7:15am (seriously, whyyyyyyy?????), we don't have much (or any!) ]extra time in the mornings. Plus, I am NOT a morning person and need to do as much as possible the night before. I've been packing Wells' lunches in the afternoon or in the evening when I am cleaning up the kitchen from supper. I pack his lunch, put it in the fridge, and then add an icepack in the morning before we head out.

Looking forward to all the tips and ideas from everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!